Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fungi Cultivating

Earlier this year, I was introduced to Wine Caps cultivating by Kwan who had some classes in mycology at college. The scientific name is Stopharia rugosa-annulata. Quite a mouthful, imagine if asked what's for dinner--it's grilled tomato-infused Stopharia rugosa-annulata! The mushroom features a robust white stalk with a port wine colored cap. They are crisp, slightly nut flavored mushrooms that are great for cooking and grilling. I was hesitant at first as I've heard horrifying stories about eating the wrong mushrooms. He told me that Wine Caps is one of the easiest to grow and it requires a small area,
I thought I'll give it a try! I bought some spawn pegs, bale of straw and some wood chips. I prepared the ground with dirt and mulched with wood chips, and soaked the straws with water in large buckets.
I also planted two blueberries bushes beside the patch. I kept the area moist and hope they will grow. I was disheartened when Kwan showed me his Wine Caps--while mine was covered with stray mushrooms--sigh! Last evening, I was caught by surprise when I visited the patch. There in middle was---two beautiful wine caps sprouted from the ground. I was ecstatic! I jumped for joy...:)

No comments: